Tuesday 23 March 2010

Love, Entrepreneurship and Pain

I was recently invited to talk about entrepreneurship to a bunch of college students. My session was at 1.30 p.m right after lunch yaaawwwn... I knew it was going to be a real challenge to keep them and myself awake for the entire session and that was the genesis of my presentation entrepreneurship and love. As I started working on it I was stunned to find the common thread between entrepreneurship and love. 

After the customary introduction as soon as I briefed the topic the entire auditorium giggled and laughed bringing life and energy into the room, power of love :-)

Just when I thought I can pull this off successfully a gentleman interrupted stating that he had a question for me. I was kinda confused as to what he was going to ask as I had not even begun my presentation. As I kept wondering... he asked me... You compare entrepreneurship with love than why is there failure in entrepreneurship?

Least of the question i expected. I took a long breath, an excuse to buy time and replied... Love does not usually have a fairy tale end, few last for months, some for years and very few last for lifetime. A comparison with vinnai thandi varuvaya and things fell in place. How true with entrepreneurship too!

The gentleman who asked me the question joined teaching profession fourteen years ago after his business did not do as good as he expected it to but even after all these years I could see passion and pain in him when he shared his story, fourteen years of pain.

He who said “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” either did not fail in love or fall in love. 

When the entrepreneurship bug bites just like the love bug people start dreaming of rosy and they lived  happily ever after endings while many times reality is a sharp contrast. More than eighty percent of business shutdown by year three, and my gut feel is love would not fare any better if not worse.

As I try to dress up my resume after a close encounter with love an empty word document is what adores my desktop for more than a week now and I am able to better empathize with the question asked. The gentleman wanted to know if there was a fool proof way to be successful. If you have any tips and tricks for a rosy beautiful ending in love/entrepreneurship please do leave a comment.

Posted via web from 2rams's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment