Friday 8 April 2011

A Nation defined....

A nation is defined by the moment it gets inspired, those moments it comes together in one single voice. For long if there has been one thing that has held and inspired this country together it is this game called cricket. For a change one person who is not a cricketer is inspiring a country invoking the passions of people across all strata to fight against corruption. Can you believe people are not talking about the famous world cup victory and not about the IPL that is scheduled to begin today all because of one name.

The name is Anna Hazare, a 73 year old veteran leading a movement which can be equated to the second war of Independence, independence from corruption. Yesterday night, inspired by Anna Hazare I pledged to skip a meal as an symbolic gesture to support a man who is shaking establishments and giving voice to collective conscience of a nation and a message to the corrupt class. I went to sleep believing it should be a should be a simple task, just one meal in a day.

I woke up late in the morning and said to my mom I dont want my breakfast today, I am going to skip a meal in support of Anna Hazare. She smiled and said I have made your favorite Idiyappam. What a timing...

It was her own way to celebrate my sisters birthday. I am yet to figure out how the Idiyappam made here will fill my sister who is thousands of miles away but when love knows no boundaries... (Note to self: In future before taking such decisions keep mom informed in advance)

My parents have had to live with some of the most incredible decisions that I have made and today was one such moment. I prepared myself for another sermon. As I got ready to leave my mom realized that I was serious and I will not be eating those yummy looking idiyappam which looked more yummier today. My mom further tempted me saying this was the best she had ever done but I did not yield in.

My mom in a confused tone looked at my dad and said he is leaving without having his breakfast in support of Anna Hazare. My dad who was glued to the television set, as a matter of fact he has been so for the last three days, shot back let him go. When a 72 year old man is fasting to death, skipping a meal will do him no harm. The tone, the mood, summed up everything.

More than 131 people have pledged to skip a meal here http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=122862107789973 

P.S

Here is a comparision of the Janlokpal bill proposed by government and that of the civil society http://scr.bi/f65uWM

And if you still have doubt read this article about CBI report on 2G scam  http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mindboggling/entry/cbi-s-2g-chargesheet-explains-why-anna-hazare-is-on-fast-unto-death

 

Posted via email from 2rams's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment