Monday 8 February 2010

The fragrance of villages

As I crossed the railway track near Singa Perumal Koil to go to this hamlet called Venkatapuram I got lost in the special fragrance that villages posses. A fragrance that comes from the innocence that they still retain. I was happy that my nostrils were still able to identify them. My guess was confirmed in the next two minutes.

To check if I was heading in the right direction I asked a person there if this is the path to Venkatapuram. He was very happy to help and confirmed that I am on the right road and advised me to take a bus as it was six kilometers far. I thanked him and said that my friend will be coming to pick me up. Another voice from behind invited me to come in and have a seat till my friend came “Thambiya ulla vanthu ukkara sollupa”. The willingness to help strangers with a warmth as if they know you for years is something unique that you can find only in these villages. I politely declined their invitation and said I wanted to enjoy the natural greenery outside.

After a minute or two seeing me standing they again offered their assistance saying they can hitchhike me with a vehicle that goes to the village if I wanted to “Thambi ungala antha ooruku pora vandila lift kuduka solluva”. I was touched by their gesture. My vehicle came by that time and I went with a warm feeling thanking them.

The journey to the hamlet was just as enjoyable. People were cultivating land on both sides of the road and hence it was lush green and there were small hills scattered around, a huge flock of cranes standing on the farmland, a man enjoying himself under the shade of a tree... The 15 minute journey was a pleasant experience despite the pot holes the roads were filled with.

Posted via web from 2rams's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment