Monday 8 February 2010

The privileged few...

I hate Ananda for inviting me to Natyakala conference. After attending the conference now I am engulfed with a sense of guilt for having missed it all these days and also inferiority complex that will take a lot of efforts to overcome. That is the feeling one is left with after first hand exposure to this divine art form. In case you doubt my words, check with my friends who attended or better go and watch one live performance. I definitely need to do something to lift my spirits back so here I go writing once again about a conference that opened my eyes to a whole new world of art.

I am not going to write about the fact that I got so many crushes in the last one week than I got in my entire life time. Neither am I going to write about what my friend Kiruba said, there is something about this dance that makes these people look beautiful and charming, nor am I going to write about Benny's advice to me that I should marry a dancer. But hey wait, I'm still open to it if you are a dancer reading this let us get connected ;-)

I am not competent enough to write about this topic but I would like to share my view about something that most of the accomplished proponents of art are worried about and discussed a lot, the dwindling audience and efforts required to keep it alive, something that I too felt after watching a live performance for the first time. This art is more enjoyable and uplifting when seen live rather than through the idiot box.

My initial thought after watching some of these great artist perform was that they were doing a yeomen service by their contribution to it but now I have an altogether different opinion. No you are not doing a great service by propagating this art form but art has done a great service to you by choosing you to perform and live with it. Not everyone is fortunate enough to even see and enjoy it, forget practicing. Do I envy you, yes I do.

You artists belong to a group of privileged few who had been chosen to make this divine art form a part of your daily life. May be that is why you all look so stunningly beautiful and charming, both genders included.

As we move away from our core strength wreaking ourselves, if there is one thing that can link us back to our core it is these classical art forms. Our core lies in our spiritual quest that unites us despite differences in religion, caste, language etc. I think our ancestors had ingeniously designed our art to serve as a connection to our spiritual quest.

There is a natures rule that anything reaches hundred percent of its efficiency will die off soon. Typewriters gave in to computers and now computers are giving way to phones and this will continue. So it is not really that bad if only two to three percent of people come in to appreciate despite your best and honest efforts.

The role that classical art has to play is more relevant in modern society than in any of the previous generations. This art form will survive as it has for centuries but may be the next torch bearers and patrons will come from places where art has not reached till now. The challenge is not in reaching to the mass but to the class of few who are privileged enough to be the chosen ones.

Posted via web from 2rams's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment